My Blog List

Friday, May 6, 2016

Loosen Up, Warm Up, Paint What's In Front of You

.On The Easel, oil sketch 6" x 8"



While working diligently on Morris, I started a series of quick oil sketches of what was in front of me. The purpose of the series was  to loosen up and warm me up for the tense sessions with Morris. My easel is mostly in front of me when I'm in the studio.  So is my painting table.



Painting Table, oils, 8" x 6"


Then my back gave out and that ended that.  I don't know whether it gave out because I was dancing to BB King in between scumbling Morris, or just because?  But it set me back on Morris and this fun series done with the same monochromatic palette as Morris.  Upstairs in my lounge chair with the heating pad, I was back to graphite sketching.  This get acquainted sketch was supposed to be a study of a FB buddy's wife, but turned out to look more like a gal I knew in high school. So I changed the title.  Get acquainted sketches are just that: a first look at a subject to learn what makes that subject that subject.  It is never a surprise to me that I might need a do-over.




You Look Familiar,  graphite,  6" x 8"








6 comments:

  1. Love 'On the Easel' I would love a huge version on my wall! And that face is so happy, eager, curious it made me smile and cheered me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Unfortunately as the size increases so must the gesture and consequently, the composition.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Warm-ups are like warm-ups. Comfortable, easy and fun.

      Delete
  3. Those impromptu oils are a great idea! And your graphite drawing is, as ever, wonderful! Hope your back is feeling better!!!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back is back as it should be. After all the PT sessions I've gone to, I do know which stretches will shorten the attack. I look forward to these paintings of what's in front of you. They are mindless whereas The Venetian method is a thinking all the time challenge,which, oddly enough, I also enjoy. I think it appeals to the designer/sculptor in me, while the warm-ups appeal to the child. Good balance.

      Delete