My Blog List

Sunday, June 14, 2015

A Balancing Act

Bad News, graphite, 6" x 8"

I shot the reference for this sketch weeks ago in Las Vegas.  The guy with phone to ear did not look happy. He looked totally devastated by bad news in the middle of a party town. Drawing this guy was my way of balancing what was going on in my house.

The excitement of family, the front hall strewn with abandoned shoes, the multiple conversations going on at once, everyone blabbing about whatever, everyone picking up on the slightest tangent and following the thread wherever, the constantly changing facial expressions and  playing musical chairs moved me to pick up my pencil and, oddly enough, draw a guy in an opposite state of being, . a state of strong contrast to my own reality.   

No comments:

Post a Comment