My Blog List

Friday, January 23, 2015

A Closer Look

Beach Hat, graphite drawing, Thirty Minute (or less) series

The reference isn't the greatest, but her pose is intriguing enough for a painting, gestural style, life size and strengthen the lighting. A closer look was needed to get an idea of what to do about her face and the lighting. A painted  head sketch may be in order.

 I love the way the wind is catching her hat and particularly, her pareo.  Sharon Wright wasn't sure what a pareo was.  It's a large scarf gals mostly tie around their waists as a bathing suit cover up.  You could call it a sarong and be right too. In Mexico, though, it's a pareo--it's a pareo in bathing suit catalogue too.  The scarf has a lot of play. It is large enough to make a halter neck dress, a pair of palazzo pants. or a blouse--it's all in how you tie the knots.  When not on a beach holiday, it can be used as a lovely summer table cloth.  That's how I use mine.  I cover up my bathing suit with an oversized, boyfriend shirt and a pair of shorts. I never have to chase those things down the beach when a wind blew up.

5 comments:

  1. "boyfriend shirt"---I haven't heard that term in awhile. Love this sketch--I'll tuned in to see the painting. You are right, it is a nice moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My beach shirt was my boyfriend's! :-)). I might get into this hat over the weekend. A tidbit of info Carol Marine mentioned in her book was how helpful her rubber tool was for removing paint without disturbing the paint below. That got me thinking about a rubber make up tool I bought to use for blusher and never did. I used it today to remove paint that went where it shouldn't and it did a wonderful job! It's now an important painting tool. If you don't have one, get it!

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure why I am asking this question, but it just hit me when I saw the picture. Do you ever add just a dash of color to a B & W sketch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be getting too involved at six thirty in the morning. These are just the sketches I do while sitting in front of my SAD light. Nothing serious, just time spent with a pencil and a knead eraser, a drawing exercise pure and simple. Get into color and I'd be there fifteen minutes more instead of eating breakfast.

      Delete
  3. An excellent pose.....wonderful graphite painting, Linda!

    ReplyDelete