My Blog List

Friday, July 9, 2010

And the Beat Goes On




"And on and on and on" sang Sonny and Cher yesterday in the studio as I finished unit five (top)and started in with unit 4 (bottom). With all the blue in these two, I changed the color of one of the forms in unit one to blue. At the very end of the art process of multiple units to be seen as one, coordination of the units is imperative for continuity. Unit 4 is going to need some or the sienna areas lightened to bright red and one of the blue forms changed to turquoise. I haven't decided which one yet.

Looking at all five together before shutting down for the day, I decided that unit one is the worst of the lot, as I suspected it would be. I was feeling my way. I used a previously painted canvas, (not a kosher idea). But as I did each unit after on virgin surfaces, the best technique for the job became more obvious and each unit more polished. The more you do something, the better you get at it.

I'm not going to redo unit one. The painting will be as it is: an exciting approach for me who has always loved repetition, multiplicity and journaling with pictures not words.

No comments:

Post a Comment