My Blog List

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sneak Peek



DRAWING OF THE DAY

Waterlily; colored pencil,as yet unfinished--and maybe never. Well, maybe later watching TV; I hate to waste paper. I'll show you the finished drawing tomorrow.

I'm not happy with the medium I chose. I should have used watercolour or acrylic--wet into wet, then hard line definition. I'm also not real thrilled with Derwent Coloursoft pencils. They're too soft.I am heavy handed and have to watch that, but I have had better results with Berol Prismacolor pencils; they're in between.

IN THE STUDIO



Using Publisher,I assembled a sneak preview of this multiple unit painting I'm totally involved in. The work in progress has "knock out" all over it. It's colorful. It's strong. The rhythm is lively. And the wall spaces in between with the shadows cast by the 1 1/2" thick canvases play up the third dimension. By doing so, the units have a sculptural effect. Having been a fine art sculpture major and then in architectural design, "sculptural" is pleasing. I think that's what's got me so excited by this project. It's a marriage of painting and sculpture.

Five units hung three inches apart will measure thirty inches wide by sixty two inches high. Looking at them now, I think the order doesn't matter very much; in this arrangement, I should add some yellow to the top unit, (to the center left white form), to carry the color through. Yellow, nearly centrally located in all of the units, is the strongest connective. --Or I could change the order. The piece has play.

No comments:

Post a Comment