My Blog List

Saturday, March 27, 2021

What’s Up?

Before What’s up, what went down:                                                                          
I started this blog in 2009 to strengthen my drawing skills by publicly promising to draw daily, a good plan for getting back into fine art, my 
major in life and training in university. At first I did a lot of cute doodles, which, over time lead me to the genre that interested me most, portraiture, candid portraits of people going about their business. I relied on my camera and worked primarily from the photographs I shot on the paparazzi sly.

 After finally finding my niche, Donald J. Trump was elected President and my interest in art dropped to a 
rare sketch.  Painting was of little interest. My head turned.  My country was in trouble. Where they had never interested me before, Politics became a priority.   Keeping up with various news sources, writing opinions to various legislators, reading all the books 
being dashed out by politicians, political analysts, 
Historians  and journalists took my time and turned off 
the lights in the  studio. The Trump term was excruciating.

 It wasn’t his issues I disliked so much, as it was the man
himself who made me gag and step from center right to 
center left.  And then the pandemic descended upon us and 
knocked the country totally flat.  Never was there a darker 
time in my memory.  And it’s still with us!  However.....
                                                                           
Either  I’ve adjusted to turmoil, or I’m tired of it?  I think
 tired.  I’ve had enough.  I’ve started to draw again more
frequently in the last few months.    Self portraits mostly  
in the last year to the degree I am sick of looking at myself 
in the mirror, but as the weather warms and buds begin to 
open on the trees, I have started to make plein air plans. I’ve 
cleaned my studio. Washed brushes. Swept floors. Cleaned 
paint tubes and palettes. Restored order. I’ve set up my easel 
on the patio in the back of the house facing Hillpoint Wood.  
Outdoors, I’m feeling upbeat after four years of glum.  I will be 
even more upbeat after my second COVID 19 inoculation 
tomorrow—so energized, I may even blog again?   













  

2 comments:

  1. Good to see and inspirational! Maybe I’ll resurrect my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you and your blog the other day and wondered how you were doing. Good to see a post from you again.
    These last few years have been strange and 2020 in particular, a challenge to us all.
    My writing has also been sporadic but I have been drawing and painting small works in sketchbooks - not much energy for large paintings.
    Stay well and safe.

    ReplyDelete