My Blog List

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Sketching New Life

 






 






 





New baby on board!  A new drawing challenge with newborn features--button nose, no jaw line, puckered mouth with dominant suckling muscles,  no supercilious crest.  Her entrance into the world had been rough.  She was understandably angry.  Being cast out from the warmth and security of her home and poked, prodded, washed, cleaned and dried, her cries were strong--a joy to hear!  A nightmare to draw.  Once settled in her handmade caccoon though,  the newest Roth slept contentedly. I sketched her again cinching  our bond.  

Big brother number two, five years old, had his doubts. He had been the baby. His family really didn't need another one--but, as he looked around the hospital room, every one seemed soooooo happy.  Maybe he'd get used to this new little person?  Time will tell.  I sketched him a hug

Drawing infants doesn't come easy. You can't read about it; you have to do it.    No infants  were ever models in life drawing classes, nor were they included in one of my most treasured art books:  Figure Drawing For All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis where I learned all about body proportions, at the age of twelve--and copied every drawing in his book, until I could draw any person, male or female, at any age, free handed and blindfolded.  Mr. Loomis stopped his proportions chart at toddlers, between the age of one and four. I look forward to  my infant granddaughter rounding out my education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment