My Blog List

Thursday, January 1, 2015

A New Year Celebration With Jeff Daniels

,Bring in the new year with Jeff Daniels, graphite, 6x8, Thirty Minute Drawing Session

No photographs were allowed in the Purple Rose Theater during Jeff Daniels' annual concert to raise funds for the theater in his home town of Chelsea, Michigan, less than an hour from my house.  But he didn't say anything about not drawing. I didn't sketch him during the concert, of course, but he was my sketch of choice for the first day of 2015.  His intimate concert in the 162 seat, theater in the round gave us the most enjoyable New Years eve celebration I can recall!

The philanthropic son of Michigan is not only an incredible actor, (you may have seen him in the News Room series for TV--or the just released Dumb and Dumber 2--but  he can also really wail on the guitar! The music piped in while people took their seats was BB King, my most played studio music. Hearing it, I knew this guy had his own Lucille and I was going to hear something special.  Daniels did not disappoint. He was personable. He had strong stage presence. He had written all the songs and arranged the music and his playing had the audience dancing in their seats.  He was WOW! 

The Purple Rose Theater, Jeff Daniels' baby and a Michigan jewel.
We were thrilled afterwards too. The matinee was over at 5:15 and by ten to six, we were at Fleming's, a posh steak house  between Chelsea and my house, without a reservation. To my surprise, (who goes out for dinner on New Years eve before eight thirty) the entrance was mobbed, but I bull nosed through and found an empty high top in the first come, first served bar--exactly where we wanted to be.  Our dinner was divine--Australian lamb chops, seared Ahi tuna with lots of pickled ginger, shrimp cocktail and  to share, a glorious piece of cheese cake dribbled with chocolate.  With bellies full, Ellis and I were home by nine thirty and asleep before midnight.  This morning our heads are clear.

 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful afternoon and evening! Your sketch of Jeff Daniels is wonderful - love the eyes and mouth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through nearly all his online public relations images before finding the face, the age, we saw on stage. As I sat and watched him perform, I was dying to turn on my phone and sneak a full figure shot with him and his guitar, but the light from the phone screen would have given me away. I should have not obeyed and left my phone on. it would have been dark and switching to the camera mode would have not been obvious--but sitting up in my seat and focusing might have. attracted attention too. Regardless of being inhibited, it was the a lovely way to kick off the New Year.

      Delete
  2. Well, that all sounds perfect. Love the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It took a bit of looking to find a PR photo that looked close to how he looked on stage. I was pleased to have come close.

      Delete