My Blog List

Monday, February 7, 2011

Slim Pickings In These Woods






I was noting strategic points in a photograph with charcoal while waiting for paint to dry and a brush to let go of the gunk I neglected to wash off Sunday. I really love that brush. I don't know how I could have done that. Yes I do. I am an absolute slob when the painting is going well and I'm going at it fast and furiously. I just throw the stuff around like it meant nothing to me and didn't cost me a small fortune collecting. Serves me right.

After soaking it in denatured alcohol then shampooing it in Simple Green, (the most amazing cleaner for acrylic paint and anything else I splash all over the studio), I repeated the process again. Signs of life started to show, not perfect, but much better. With time...then the trees started to move in the woods outside my window.

At twilight, A whole herd of deer caught my eye as they were passing through forging through the deep snow for whatever they could find. They went through faster than I could get to my camera and set the shot, but I did catch this one fella who looked like he got lucky. Does his coat look just a tad warmer and brighter than the usual dirty gray? I think it does. I do hope it does. I'm hungry for signs this winter is letting go.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!... Mono photos, drawings are so classic, clean looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's a monophoto? A photo of just one deer? LOL I wanted to catch the herd, but they walked single file yards apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I would love to see a deer in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mono- meaning one color.. photos in sepia can be interpreted as 'mono'..i was on another site that had exercises that we did w/our photos...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissy, I live in mono heaven. Mono grays, browns and blacks and white are all the colors that arearound here these days.

    Evelyn, You come here. I'll go to Malaysia. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your drawing here has that zen feel to it.. it must be the simplicity of it... I know that's why I've always liked Ansel Adams' photography.. My friend Michael is a key grip for the studios and his collection of b&w's u would love... he built his own darkroom after one of his kids moved out... he was in sheer heaven developing his photos!.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chrissy, I live in mono heaven. Mono grays, browns and blacks and white are all the colors that arearound here these days.

    Evelyn, You come here. I'll go to Malaysia. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chrissy & Linda, count me in, I am mono too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sick mono? Or blue gray mood mono? Neither one's good. You need a project. Hard to do--but must do. Good to hear from you. Missed you.

    ReplyDelete