My Blog List

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Summer Greens

BLUES TO GREENS TO YELLOW AND WHITE ARE THE COLORS OF SUMMER GREENERY WITH RED THROWN IN

I added some of these colors carefully, strategically yesterday. I'm going to have to go back into the darks for definition and depth--but that's the way of painting--back and forth with line and color till the dabs and dots and lines say what you want them to say.




Foliage softens space. Color beautifes. But trees stripped bare and color kept minimal is what the woods look like in Winter--and come closer to how I feel about them now. There's a bleakness that's attractive. You can see it in The Buck Stopped Here photo. The study below is a study in design--a just a quick look at space.



Tree trunks layered one over another. Branches overlapping. The dissection of space by lines, thick and thin. The play of positive and negative forms. Low keyed colors defining depth. What's near? What far? No details to distract. All these elements fascinate me and keep me staring into the forest behind my house. Next to summer, winter is bleak. Which means the fall painting has to be somewhere in the middle--not too lush, not too barren. More fall studies are in order. No. No more studies. Studies can kill spontaneity. Better to just hit the canvas and all the fall sketches will merge.

No comments:

Post a Comment