My Blog List

Friday, September 24, 2010

It May be Fast, but Now I'm Drawing Nice and Slow




I've turned down the commission. It's been worrying me all week as you know--so many people involved who's approval I would be seeking. That's not what I want to do with my art. I don't want art to be a job--I've got one of those. And yesterday I was busy doing it after so many months of being laid off. I was exhausted by dinner; It's hard to rev up your engines after they've been in low gear for so long. I needed some less serious activity to get my verve back.

I took an hour to work on the boat. Just because I gave up the boat as a job, doesn't mean I gave up the challenge. I'm liking using colored pencil--except I'm not that thrilled with the Derwent brand. They're too soft. I need harder leads for the details. I have some Prisma leads somewhere and will look for them after work. I hear Faber Castell makes a good pencil? Next time I buy, I'll give those a try.

As I was working on the background, I noticed I was feeling a sense of relief. With no one but me to like the work and no deadline, I felt much more relaxed. What was somebody else's boat, was now my boat. I had the freedom of interpretation back. I felt good about my decision--just sorry I had delayed the client's project while I debated the commission aspect of the art market.

No comments:

Post a Comment