My Blog List

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Finding My Painting Voice

[WARNING: THE FOLLOWING BlOG IS ABOUT MAKING ART USING WATERCOLOR, SOME MAY FIND IT BORING].


Watercolor isn't it--as I've been suspecting. I just don't have the patience for it. I get a paint brush in my hand and I want to move fast, intuitively,spontaneously, drawing and correcting the drawing as I go. I do not want to layout the drawing with a pencil first and then methodically paint in the picture. I don't want to have to stop to use a blowdryer.

This watercolor is unsatisfactory as yet, but definitely has potential for an acrylic, which perhaps I will attempt tomorrow--maybe this afternoon--the tips of my sunflowers are browning. I've got to move quickly, my still life is dying--although dying flowers may be a more interesting subject matter for me? I'll still try to salvage it with some more drawing in on that center flower after breakfast, but no matter what I do, the paper, (90 lb. wt.), is crap.

Saddest of sads, the deer attacked the hibiscus I was nursing back to health. They ate all the leaves and the flowers that had finally come back after its terrible ordeal in the sun in this very hot, dry summer. I didn't know deer liked hibiscus? I'm bringing it in. I'm going to try to winter it indoors. Let the deer eat the holly, I like those bushes kept short. Meanwhile winter may be here? It's fifty four degrees, jacket, not jump in the lake weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment