My Blog List

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sleepless In The Bloomfields.....

And going through my paintings and drawings on paper when I came across watercolors I wouldn't have thought were mine if they weren't right there in front of me. I was surprised and impressed. I never thought I was much of a watercolorist, but the washes and wipes made me think I should fiddle more--at the seashore. :-))


Calm Seas, watercolor, 9" x 11"
Lost At Sea, watercolor, 9" x 11"

I don't think artists should ever throw anything away.  Trashing any disappointing effort is too Impulsive.   It's better to toss them into a drawer or stash them while you re-coop behind the furnace at the back of the cellar .  The discovery months, years later, often delight and affirm that any pursuit of craft had been worthwhile.  --Some clunkers will still be clunkers, but others will fill you with awe that you did them-- and wonder whether you could do them again?  But then why would you? You're not that person anymore.

This colorful splash of pastel made me wonder why I let pastel dust turn me off.

Summer Grasses, pastel, 6" x 8"

 


         






7 comments:

  1. The two watercolors are GOOD, Linda! I feel the same way about some of my oldies ... did I do that??? ... could I do it again - only better?
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the answer is no. 😃. Finding these made me want to play in the water again. Did you see the water and ink demo Sharon Wright put on FB? I have to try that: pencil in a contour drawing. KISS. Go over a portion of it with just clean water on your brush. Then let a single drop of color flow through the channels. I have to see what happens. The person doing the demo used India ink. I might have a bottle somewhere. 😉

      Delete
  2. When I open my drawers I often feel love for something that now does not seemed so lovable or vice versa.
    Then there are my milestones ... those that I loved while I was painting and I love even, possibly more, because these watercolors have something that I do not can paint twice... these paintings was created through a series of unique personal emotions.
    You are painter, so said Van Gogh,that puts brush in its soul ... It does not matter if the painter holds oil acrylic pastel watercolor ... it is his soul that comes out and appears, to viewers and to itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every artist's drawers and shelves hold gems and disasters. Hopefully, none of the disasters ever sold! :-)) But then, we are always evolving and of course that pathway is going to have a few stumbles--quite a few--stumbles are to only way to get better. Gem or disaster is best left to whomever gets to sort these things out when we've moved on to Leonardo's world.

      Delete
  3. Every time that happens I wonder why I can't paint/draw like that anymore! And I agree. ...............never throw work away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can, only better. You just don't want to be a robot, a machine who cranks out replicas. You've got a big heart.

      Delete
  4. No indeed, don't throw things away. I too sometimes wonder how I ever was able to paint that. These watercolors look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete