My Blog List

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Hit or Miss or JACKPOT!

Maya,  Graphite,  6 x 8", TMDD Series
Note the measurement lines. Very important for drawing figures that can stand
on their own two feet.
Maya is  a thumbnail. I see this woman with her shear, billowing sarong blowing in the wind, life sized, positioned on the left and painted on a large canvas. But she'll never make it out of the sketch book onto the big time.  My photographic reference  just isn't good enough.

These weeks of drawing from reference photographs I shot in Mexico I've learned as much about   candid photography as I have about drawing. 

For spontaneous candid shots, my digital camera doesn't seem  well suited. It's not quick enough or I'm not quick enough? It's not like my old SLR where I could set the f-stop to cover lighting conditions without even looking and change the shutter speed just as blind and just as quickly. The digital  has a "menu."  I have to open the menu, choose the little icon picture that matches my situation, get to it and set it.  It's a fuss around while the subject is moving on and taking whatever interested me with them.  The solution is:  Set the camera on continuous shot and fill the memory card.  Hit and miss--or jackpot! Candid photography is a crap shoot.




 

11 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous drawing, I swear she moves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, YOU SWEET THING! I felt dissatisfied. The reference was so vague, yet I had to give it a try. Her outfit, the wind, she was a sight to be seen in motion. Maybe she'll go back to Mexico next year and give me a second chance? What a miracle that would be. 😄

      Delete
    2. You never know...I saw a piece of jewelry in Spain..couldn't afford it! Went back the next year and it was still there. Still have it now. People are creatures of habit, you go back, why shouldn't she?

      Delete
    3. You're absolutely right. We do run into the same folks year after year.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Sharon Wright! Even before I read her comment I noticed the wonderful movement in this drawing! Bravo Linda! I love it as is! Almost a bit sassy! Great attitude! I also love your self portrait in your title page! Great job Linda! One of your best portraits and a self portrait at that! I love the look! I always picture you like this! Also with a mischievous but ever so kind smile also! Take care my dear art buddy!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what got my attention too! Thanks Michael. That self portrait nearly killed me, but taught me how to go about painting ultra realistically. I'm not so sure I ever want to do it again. I like a little playfulness. It's going to stay a grisaille.

      Delete
  3. I like your plum line from ear to heel. Its been a while since I have done fast poses and it was a great refresher hint.
    This one is a wonderful drawing. That calf to the ankle is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, you're right. That's why I leave the construction lines. Point matching is key. Holding up that pencil and spotting angles is Also very helpful. What I love is that strategic points and the degree of angles is what drawing is. The artistry is in connecting the dots. 😀 that's where a drawing becomes the artist's own signature. Too bad this one won't make it to canvas. Maybe she'll be on the beach next year?

      Delete
  4. You always seem to find these great poses, Linda. You captured such a natural way of standing...I love the lines you drew..I would never have thought to do this...YOU'RE GOOD!!! and I love your newest drawing...the reflections in her sunglasses are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the form of this model. You captured the billowy fabric so well

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the form of this model. You captured the billowy fabric so well

    ReplyDelete