My Blog List

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Honey's Eyes


I learned something yesterday. It wasn't only Honey's hands that were keeping me away from this painting, his eyes (with glasses no less) were too.

I tackled them in spite of doubts that I could pull them off "effortlessly" using acrylics. Acrylics dry fast--so fast that blending is a bitch. There's a retarder medium to slow down the drying action, but I didn't happen to have any in stock. Layering glazes might get the effect I want, but not with a brush. I needed a teeny tiny sponge apparatus like the ones we gals use to apply eye shadow. Then there's always oil paint...

Every painting presents the artist with problems to solve. As soon as you make the first mark, the painting takes on a life of it's own challenging the artist for solutions. But enough of Honey's eyes. Back to his hands.


While I had made progress with them, I went back into my pic files to see if I could find a better photo with greater clarity. I did. I found him in Cancun 2008 in nearly the same stance, the stance that definitely says Honey. Drawing those beautiful, long slender fingers one more time is my agenda for this evening. What a glutton I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment