My Blog List

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Shaking up the Zinnias


In search of another 20" x 20" canvas with the idea of starting another "Catch-all" collage/painting,(Portraits Aside, Sundays are for Fun, 1/18/10 post).
I found a painting of Zinnias in the corner under my painting table.

It was the first flower painting I ever attempted a few years back when I thought flowers with their riot of pure colors might be good subject matter. But this one as it was said maybe not. The style was so up tight it looked like it had been done by an anorexic little lady with a morbid fear of paint who needed a Xanax. It made me want to scribble over it, smear, splash and shake it up. It needed more paint, more texture, broad strokes and squiggles. So I attacked the Zinnias and I'll do it again. Painting is a violent sport. Exhilarating.

No comments:

Post a Comment